The mission of St Mary’s Catholic Primary School is to grow as a community through our faith in God, giving love and respect to all. This is at the heart of all we do and underpins our curriculum through the learning, teaching and wider opportunities we offer at our school.
To look at what the children will be learning this term please follow the link. https://sites.google.com/sm.bkcat.co.uk/curriculum
Our aim, as a Catholic school, is to teach the children how to live as Christians with dignity and purpose, within the traditions of the Catholic Church. We encourage our pupils to practice virtue through character education and grow in knowledge and friendship with God. We work in partnership with parents developing and strengthening the children’s gift of faith, alongside the areas of learning set down in the National Curriculum. Core subjects of RE, Maths, English and Science are studied alongside foundation subjects of History, Geography, Design and Technology, Computing, Music, a modern foreign language (French), Art, RSE, PSHCE and P.E. Details of the National Curriculum can be found at www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-framework-for-key-stages-1-to-4
We believe children learn best at our school when:
* They are happy, safe and secure
* They are stimulated, motivated, challenged and engaged in their learning
* They achieve success which is recognised and celebrated
* Tasks match learner’s potential
* Activities are clearly understood and match the learning challenges
* They are in a learning environment where mistakes are used as opportunities for growth
* They understand the boundaries of acceptable behaviour
* They receive support and encouragement from home
* All adults involved in the learning process recognise the significance of their role in this Catholic school.
* Learning Objectives are matched to skills progression and mastering the curriculum as set out in our subject specific guidance.
We aim to create an environment in which children are confident to explore, evaluate and sometimes fail in order to understand and grow. Although our curriculum is based on the National Curriculum, we make adaptations to cater for the needs and interests of the learners at St Mary’s school in order to allow the children to embark on a wonderful adventure of learning, where learning styles and varying intelligences are at the heart of teaching and learning. Our approaches and strategies incorporate visual, auditory and kinaesthetic.
We have built a curriculum which is flexible to the needs of our pupils. To find out more about how our curriculum is accessible to those with disabilities or SEN please refer to our SEND report, policy and offer which can be accessed on our SEND & Inclusion page.
If you have any queries about our school curriculum please contact Mrs Jellett via the school office.